Have your child’s Bar or Bat Mitzvah at Schara Tzedeck.
The term Bar and Bat Mitzvah actually describes the young man or woman, not the event and it means “a person of responsibility”. The event celebrates the Bar or Bat Mitzvah’s acceptance of their obligations as Jewish Adults.
At Schara Tzedeck our educational program focuses on all the different types of responsibilities and obligations that these young men and women will encounter in their lives and, as we are firm believers that family education is the strongest form of growth, we involve the family to give greater meaning to the process.
The Bar and Bat Mitzvah education at Schara Tzedeck is a benefit of Synagogue membership.
Schara Tzedeck Bar and Bat Mitzvah program Highlights:
BEING JEWISH IS COOL!! This is truly a special time, as each student is able to develop a long lasting bond with the Rabbi:
- Boys and Girls aged 11 – 13 learn with Rabbi Rosenblatt and Mrs. Gila Ross every other Monday throughout the year.
- Classes begin at 5:15 with a light dinner.
- Classes are filled with excitement, activities, and field trips.
- Two months before a child’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah Rabbi Rosenblatt begins private lessons with the student in order to facilitate the writing of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah speech and prepare the young person for the actual experience.
Some of the topics covered include:
- Familiarization with the prayers, life cycle events, etc.
- Understanding mitzvot (commandments).
- Being Jewish is Cool.
- Peer pressure in secular culture.
- The importance of ritual.
Specific components of the Bar and Bat Mitzvah program:
Monday Evening Parent/Child Bar and Bat Mitzvah classes:
- These classes give the Rabbi, parents and children opportunity to discuss important topics that are not often covered in day school curricula, but are essential to being modern Jewish adult.
- We organize a group chessed (act of kindness) project.
- Both the discussion about the project and the execution of this chessed help the young men and women develop their sense of community responsibility.
Individual work with Rabbi Rosenblatt:
- Rabbi Rosenblatt works individually with each student helping him or her to prepare a class, a Dvar Torah (Torah speech) or any other presentation that is part of their celebration.
Preparation for K’riat Hatorah:
- Rabbi Goldman instructs young men in the reading of the Torah and Haftorah and is also committed to teaching the skills of leading tefilah (prayers) to those who are interested.
Individual Chessed Project:
- Bar and Bat Mitzvah students find a way to give back to their community through projects with the Louis Brier Home and Hospital, Jewish Family Services, NCSY Schara Tzedeck, Kollel, Jewish Community Centre, Jewish National Fund, Greater Vancouver Jewish Federation or other Jewish agencies.
Family Learning Project:
- Choose a Jewish text to learn and discuss at your Friday night Shabbat dinner
- We would suggest Pirket Avot, Ethics of the Fathers or Strive for Truth, and there are many other good choices.
- These books offer excellent opportunities to discuss the important issues of personal responsibility and life choices as a family, and add a special dimension to the preparation.
Frequently Asked Questions
|Are there any special fees for the education?||The Bar and Bat Mitzvah education at Schara Tzedeck is free and is a benefit of Membership.|
|How many aliyot (reading from the Torah) do I get for my child’s celebration of becoming a Bar Mitzvah?||
|Who provides the candy?||
|Can photographs be taken?||
|How do I determine the date of a Bar Mitzvah?||